Tuesday, February 10, 2009

In Memoriam

Hellooo Everyone,
It was 28 yrs. ago today that my brother committed suicide. He was 16 and I was 11 at the time. I looked up to him. He was my best friend. He taught me how to play baseball, football, basketball and introduced me to rock 'n' roll. He also introduced me to weed. Little did I know at the time, he was doing other stuff too besides drinking and partying. He was also hurting inside. After he died I swore I wouldn't smoke weed again but partying was OK. I thought I had an obligation to carry on his memory by being the best partier and to be well known for it. Thus began my drinking career.
Anyway, every year on this day I especially remember him by listening to "Free Bird" by Lynyrd Skynyrd. It was his favorite song and mine as well. The first line is as follows: "If I leave here tomorrow, would you still remember me?" The answer is 'of course my brother, I do and always will. I miss you and will never forget you. We'll meet again someday'. Tell your loved ones that you love them, they won't be around forever.
Until next time, God Bless.

{Daily Passage: Believe in Jesus, learn from Jesus, be humble like Jesus.}

{He humbled himself and became obedient to death - even death on a cross! ~ PHILIPPIANS 2:8}

2 comments:

  1. Gerry, Your brother and cousin have never been forgotten. My thoughts are with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Through reading your blog, I learned more about the uncle I never got to meet than I've learned from anything anyone in the family has ever told me. I'm thankful that you posted this Gerry. I never got to meet Chris, and no one seems to want to talk about him....which is odd to me because I think you should talk about those you've loved and lost. I know it's a painful subject for all of you; dad, grandma and grandpa, and all your sisters, but those of us who didn't get to know him the way you did, like me, want to know what he was like. What kind of things he liked to do, what made him laugh, what his favorite band was, and all the other things that made Chris who he was. Free Bird is one of my favorite songs, but now it holds a more significant meaning for me. I love you Gerry....

    ReplyDelete